I have so many interests, and I'll usually try anything once, so my posts aren't focused, they aren't subject specific, they're just here for anyone to read and hopefully someone, sometime, will find something that piques their interest, encourages them, lends information, makes them laugh, awakens a hidden passion, or...just helps them get through their boring day at work. :o) Have fun!


A few of my favorites from across the web:
http://www.nourishingdays.com/
http://www.nourishedkitchen.com/

Thursday, February 17, 2011

What to do?

You know, it seems that this whole "stay-at-home-mom" thing sure has it's ups and downs. For example, I have so much to do, I don't even know where to begin........so I don't. Instead I log onto Facebook or ChaCha and post randomness or answer other people's questions, because I can't get my own brain organized enough to attempt half of mine.
 I need to get an actual lesson plan down on paper so I can see it, how it fits in with everything else in my day, if it is well-rounded and in a style that meets Mercedes' needs. I know preschool isn't really that big of a deal; she's  already soaking up so much information on her own I barely need to do anything. But I don't want her quick mind to be left alone to it's own vices and raise an uncontrollable, selfish, devious little imp that used to be a sweet, loving child.
 Reading has gone fantastically so far. There are the days when she slumps in my lap and insists that she doesn't know the sound, "m," when it's the very first one we learned and not easily confused with any of the other sounds. But, I get through it and whether or not I get through it patiently is entirely dependent on myself, though I try to blame it on something. . . anything . . .else. Hopefully those times I reach the end of my patience rope don't scare her away from academics too much.
 She seems to be absolutely soaking up simple science concepts like: what does a plant need to survive? Color the things we can smell. What items to we wear in the summer? How about in the winter?
 She asks me everyday, now, if we can make more valentines. I think it's the pretty lace, glitter, and hearts that have her more excited than actually completing a project. haha
 How do you reign in, or channel, the energy of a quick-witted four-year old, obsessed with princesses, high heels, jewelry, crowns, etc. and to a positive outcome?
 I'm sure all things will come in time, and there's soooo many facets of learning and teaching with a four-year old I almost can't keep up with all of it.

 My one and a half year old is barely saying anything at all, and Mercedes was carrying on almost full conversations at that age. I think my official conclusion is that Mercedes is talking so much that Cashlynn finds absolutely no need to. They seem to communicate just fine, even if it is with screaming and physical force. haha
 But, seriously, I don't think there has been a single moment when I've grown concerned or worried about Cashlynn's verbal skills. She's doing more puzzles, now, than Mercedes was a  year ago. Children develop so differently and are skilled in so many different areas, I've never understood the mom's who freak out because their child can't throw a ball, but will sit and have a conversation with her while the other one only grunts his requests. Or why the mother of the physically skilled child worries he will grow up dumb. Who cares? He'll probably get a full-ride scholarship for some sport and be perfectly happy doing what he loves? HE doesn't care who Einstein is, and that conversational little boy who is king of the debate team and perfectly happy playing chess with his best friend doesn't care who Michael Jordan is.
 IMO, if our children grow up learning to love and respect each other, the rest of humanity, and take care of their environment without esteeming IT over themselves and their fellow human being, we've done alright as parents. After all, the most important commands Jesus gave us were, "Love the Lord your God with all you heart, soul, mind, and strength." And even if you don't believe there is a God, the second most important is worth daily practice in all our lives. "Love each other even as you love yourself."
 This is the most important lesson. . . and the hardest. . . that I am trying to teach my children everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment